Saturday, August 6, 2011

I love Duct Tape!!!

Alright, so before I go into the biggest news of all I need to talk about my love of duct tape. While seemingly random this post does tie into building my motorcycle build.

After installing the Visual Impact Brat Kit onto my frame I realized shortly that the Sportster seat the bike came with would not work out. I browsed online but the more I browsed the more I realized it would be VERY difficult to find a custom built seat pan that would fit the style of my bike without looking out of place. Therefore I came to the conclusion I would need to build a custom seat pan myself. Well besides the fact I have no metal molding tools, even if I did my experience in that world is VERY lacking. What's the next best thing? FIBERGLASS!!! The do it yourself best friend!!!

In order to do the fiberglass however I would need a mold to form the glass around. Wait for it....here comes the Duct Tape love.

I cut out some cardboard and laid it on the frame to get an idea. Man did I EVER get an idea. What was originally meant to be a 30-45 minute job ended up lasting for 3 hours this morning. Half a roll of duct tape, 2-3 cereal boxes, and a USPS shipping box later this is what I've come up with....

So that's my mold. I've got to lay down 4-6 layers of glass, add some closed cell foam custom fit to rear end, then lay some fabric across it and TA DAA!!! I've got a seat.

Now without further delay here's the biggest news for this post....I can hardly contain myself so here's a photo. It's MUCH more explanatory....



THAT'S RIGHT!!!! My pipes came in and they F'ING SWEET!!! OH....I think I just pee'd myself a little!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment